A strange suitcase appeared in our school last week! We were so excited to see what was in it!
Inside it were some cockroaches, a meerkat keyring, meerkat toys and some books about meerkats.
We found out that it belongs to a meerkat called Sunny.
He is travelling around the UK and is going to send us postcards from each capital city.
He wants us to look after his suitcase until he arrives at school.
Can you find out some information about what Sunny might see on his travels?
Year 1 are learning about the Seasons this half term.
It is the start of Spring so we went on a walk to see what has changed since the Winter.
We had a lovely time being detectives in the sunshine last week!
Year 1 performed their assembly on Friday. It was all about love!
First they told us about St Valentine who was killed because he helped the Roman soldiers to get married. Then the children shared their wonderful posters about what love means to them.
The children sang the songs ‘All you need is love’ by the Beatles and It’s Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy to see how much Jesus loves me.’
They told the story ‘No Matter What’ by Debi Gloria and prayed to God to help us show love to others.
Well done Year 1. You were fantastic!
We’ve been researching how penguins move this week and practised sliding, waddling, jumping and diving just like them.
We also huddled together to keep warm outside.
It was great fun! Then we wrote all about it.
1AW really enjoyed their visit to Reddish Library.
We had some lovely stories read to us by the Librarian and found lots of new books to read!
Year 1 have been learning about the Epiphany.
We talked about why the wise men brought gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Then the children each said the gifts they would give to baby Jesus. They had some lovely ideas like diamonds, their favourite teddy, a soft pillow and their love.
We went to the Chapel and placed our ideas around the Nativity scene.
Year 1 and 2 were very surprised and excited to find a penguin in our playground on Tuesday.
He was trapped inside a block of ice!
The children had lots of ideas of how we should get him out including breaking the ice with a hammer, putting it somewhere warm and pouring on warm water to make the ice melt.
We brought the penguin into the warm classroom and poured some warm water on him. It took all day for all the ice around him to melt.
We voted on a name for the penguin and chose Snowflake because he comes from a cold place.
We’re going to find out lots more about penguins so we know how to look after him. Ask us what we have found out!
This is what we will be learning this half term:
- The Epiphany
- Family and the Church Community
- Following and drawing maps
- Using simple directions
- Seasons and weather around the World
- Reading and writing sentences
- Telling stories
- Forming letters correctly
- Focus Book: Lost and Found and other books by Oliver Jeffers
- Place Value to 40
- Addition/Subtraction to 20 using apparatus
- Problem Solving
Science – Animals
- Identifying different animal groups
- knowing the five senses and how we use them
- Sorting animals into groups according to their features
- Carrying out simple investigations
- Using the computer to make pictograms
- Lego builders – following simple instructions
- Singing and playing percussion instruments
- Investigating pitch (high and low sounds)
- Songs on a penguin theme!
- Learn about primary and secondary colours
- Making lighter and darker shades
- Printing using different materials
PSHCE – Living in the Wider World
- Relationships (SRE)
- Invasion games